Thursday, May 30, 2013

My Review of 3/4" x 2 1/4" Utility Oak Flooring

Originally submitted at Lumber Liquidators

3/4" x 2 1/4" Unfinished Solid Utility Oak Flooring What is Utility Grade?Utility grade flooring Will have defects, knots, open knots, missing tongues, machine burns, splits in the wood and short pieces (12"-8").Sold as is-no warranty, no returns, no cancellations. This product ...


Deeply Skeptical From the Start...

By YoungstownTuneUp from Columbiana, OH on 5/30/2013

 

4out of 5

Pros: Easy To Clean, Easy To Install, Attractive Finish, Beautiful Color

Cons: Some Seam Separation

Best Uses: Kitchen, Bathroom, High traffic areas

Describe Yourself: Avid Do-It-Yourselfer

BE ADVISED: Utility Grade wood claims to be sold "Per Square Foot" but it still comes bundled the same as every other 2-1/4" hardwood, in Approx. 19SqFt bundles - if you do the estimation correctly and add the additional 30% as directed on site THEN Divide that number by 19...
In example, I was flooring a bathroom and needed approx. 46SqFt coverage.. so I ordered 60SqFt of boards. the bundles arrived and I was given 3 bundles to satisfy my order, though at approx. 19SqFt per bundle, I received 3SqFt less than I actually paid for. I figured 3SqFt isn't terrible and should be covered by the over-estimation, it wasn't. I had to use some left over boards of higher quality, from a previous job.
In my case the math looked like this 46 * 1.30 = 59.8SqFt (which I rounded to 60SqFt) - The site then claimed the boards were sold "per Square Foot" so I assumed I would be covered - but the local store gave me three bundles totaling 57SqFt. The store REFUSED to split up a fourth bundle to satisfy my order, which left me short.
Now I know - if I had taken the number I came up with "60SqFt" divided that by 19 I would've seen that I would Need more than just three bundles and I would have placed my order to include a fourth bundle.
-----
All of that said, the wood itself was Very easy to work with. I have saws and a router, so I was able to cut the longer boards and recreate the tonge-&-grooved ends for better assembly.
I discarded a few boards as they were knotty and or had holes through them. Several boards were pre-marked crossways denoting how much of that one was actually usable, I used those markings as suggested cut lines and the smallest pieces were used along a wall to create the 'effect' that the flooring went all the way beneath...
Because the boards and grain patterns are wildly mismatched and do not have a consistent smooth grain pattern, I would not recommend this grade for a Family/Living room, where guests or friends may spend time visiting. However in Higher Traffic areas, like a bathroom, a child's play room or even a kitchen they are fine. The boards are still Oak, so they're plenty durable, but because of the grade/patterns I would be less concerned about any marking that may come.
All-in-all everything went together quite nicely.. I waited until now, approx. one year later, to write my review to see how the flooring would hold up.. there's been some separation, which may be as much my own fault as anything. I chose not to use any nails as anchors, so as the boards began to acclimatize a couple of the joints pulled apart, not far, no more than 1/8" but enough that I notice it.

Utility Grade installed and being sanded

thumbnail

Tags: Picture of Product, Sanding Product, Made with Product, Using Product

Utility Grade - After Clear Gloss Polyurethane

thumbnail

Tags: Polyurethaned, Using Product, Picture of Product, Made with Product

(legalese)

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent Spamming Comments can only be made by those with Gmail or Google Accounts. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes, but I really have no need for New Sunglasses & no desire to promote the Nigerian Lottery.... :)